Starting a business means deciding on the right business structure, securing financing, registering your business name, finding a space, paying corporate taxes and more.
- This Starting a Small Business Guide can help navigate these steps.
- Visit our Business Resources section for links to services and resources to help you with all aspects of your business planning and development including conducting market research, securing financing and identifying export markets.
- Small Business BC offers a great on-line Starting your Business Checklist which breaks down the necessary steps.
- Contact us for information and guidance throughout the process of establishing your business in Richmond. We’ll make sure you get the help you need.
Locating Commercial Space
Once you’re ready to start your business, you’ll need to find the perfect space! We can help with that too.
- SpaceList is a useful search tools for finding currently available commercial space for purchase or lease.
- The City’s Interactive Map tool can help determine if the site is zoned correctly for the proposed use.
- Richmond’s Zoning Bylaw can help determine if the zoning allows for the specific business activities on the selected site.
- Home Based Business regulations are specific to operating one’s business out of a residence.
- Mobile Vendor Information Sheet should be consulted prior to starting a mobile vendor business in Richmond.
- Contact us for help finding the perfect Richmond location for your business, and navigating the required municipal permits and licenses.
Register Your Business
Before obtaining a municipal business licence to operate in Richmond, you will need to register your business name with the Province of BC.
- Obtain a Business Number through the BC Business Registry. This will allow you to register for GST, PST, payroll deductions, WorkSafeBC, and other Provincial and Federal business accounts.
- The Richmond Chamber of Commerce can facilitate and/or expedite your business name approval.
- Once you’ve registered your business with the Province of BC, you can apply for your City of Richmond business licence.
- Contact us for help registering your business name with the Province of BC.
Permits & Licences
Every business operating within the City of Richmond is required to have a business licence. Depending on your business activity, you may require additional permits and licenses from a variety of regulatory authorities relating to food handling, fire safety, electrical installations, building alternations, commercial vehicles, etc.
- Use BizPaL to generate a complete and customized list of permits required from all levels of government
- Business Licence: Requires every person carrying on a business in the City of Richmond to obtain a Business Licence.
- Business Regulation: Regulates the operation of licensed businesses.
- Zoning: Regulates the use of land and buildings.
- Building Regulation: Regulates the construction of and occupant safety in and about buildings.
- Sign Regulation: Under this bylaw signs advertising a place of business are required to have a sign permit. Alterations to an existing sign also require a permit.
- Rezoning Guide: Policies and guidelines for rezoning property in Richmond.
- Development Permit: Regulates the procedures for the issuance of development permits.
- Fire Prevention and Life Safety: Relates to the prevention of fire and the control and regulation of fire safety in buildings and premises.
- Public Health Protection: Regulates the operation of restaurants and food dealers, and general health conditions of business.
- Vehicles for Hire Regulation: Regulates licensed businesses using vehicles for transporting passengers, including tow trucks, U-drives, driver training vehicles, taxi cabs, buses, limousines.
- Commercial Vehicle Licensing: Requires that a Municipal Plate be obtained for commercial vehicles or other vehicles used for delivery or transport of goods in connection with a business.
If you have any questions regarding what licenses or permits your business is required to have, view our Guide to the Business Licence Application Process, or contact the City of Richmond Business Licence Department at 604-276-4328 or [email protected].